Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

"Does anybody really care?"

Sorry.  I was briefly having a Chicago Transit Authority Album moment.

Been learning some lessons about time, lately.  Well, that's not exactly accurate.  I've been learning THE lesson about time, lately. 

Time is not based around my clock/to-do/preference list.  However, it IS based upon God's clock/to-do/preference list.

Shall I end the post here?  Probably should, but I'll paint a little bit more.

I'm a day counter, a clock watcher, and a habitually oh-my-word-we're-running-behind-again person.  As in:
  • 12 days before vaca--must lose 30 pounds. 
  • Fifteen minutes until "Castle"/30 minutes of  quiet time/20 minutes till I need to leave to pick up (insert name)
  • "(insert name), get in the car, NOW because we don't want to be late for (insert activity)!" 

I realize the world in which we live dictates some of this.  I'm a mother in suburbia.  I live in my minivan and by the clock.

However...

I'm learning that God has a different scheme of time and rhythm than the one to which I often subscribe. 

"Another lesson, God?  Couldn't I please just go to Heaven now, and learn my lessons later?" She whines.  Um...nope.

My son had his wisdom teeth removed just under a week ago.  I was a fantastic home nurse for about 3 days, if I do say so, myself.  Then it was time for him to get better.  Really?  I'm that omniscent that I know this?  Why, yes.  It seems I thought so.  He tried school yesterday.  I cajoled and pep-talked and "you can do this"-ed all the way to school.  And, of course, his day was pretty rotten--with most of his teachers mentioning that he probably should've stayed home. 

But...but...but.  He's in a private school.  A private school for which I'm EVER-SO-GRATEFUL, because it meets his needs in brilliant ways.  But a private school, nonetheless, which includes monthly organ donation tuition payments.  He needs to be back in school so that we get the most out of what we're paying for, especially since he has spring break next week. 

Yes.  Just elect me Mother of the Year.

Compassion is clearly my love language. And yes, hindsight is 20/20--I should've scheduled the wisdom teeth for spring break (hangs head).

Because my two children have two different spring breaks, if vacationing, we typically choose to leave during my daughter's break.  Her teachers pile on the homework.  For her to make up time lost from school is harder than for my son to do so.  So, D will miss ANOTHER week of school (hear the money vacuum going again?).

My son's spring break is next week.  Daughter's is the week following his.  If you're still with me, this means he will be spending an inordinate amount of  time out of school.  Cue my anxiety:  Will he get what he needs? Will he be able to re-enter well after so much time away?

But what I'm really asking is:  Will he be okay, God?  Will he go to college?  Will he be a fulfilled, content human being? 

Deeper?  What I'm really,REALLY asking:  Will I be okay, God, if he doesn't do these things?

Only time will tell. 

My life on earth is a gift.  I have earned none of it.  It's not about the money.  It's not about my measure of what's timely and enough.  It's about gratitude and surrender to a holy God who comforts, guides, and provides just what I need. 

In His perfect time. 
 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  Ecclesiates 3:11 (TNIV)
Because you know you have this in your head, now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuUUBrC9eQ

 Photobucket

No comments: