When I started blogging, I had no idea how richly rewarding and what a blessing it would be. I am literally blessed DAILY by the relationships God has brought to my life through this blog. I want to thank my lurkers for lurking, my new friends for commenting and touching my heart--by allowing me into yours. And, I want to thank my "older" friends for bringing such richness into my life. But I think my blogging season may be over.
It's because of these relationships, that it's difficult (in a way) to stop blogging. But it's also because of these relationships, I believe, that my spirit is no longer into daily (or several times weekly) blogging. As I've become more invested in the relationships that God has given, I've grown in deeper connection with many of you who live in my computer. This has led to emails, phone calls, texts, a trip to Whidbey for a weekend, and forever heart connections. All of the fun of blogging is important to me, but I've discovered that THIS is the most important. THIS is where I've been led so far. For example, I will call, email, or IM one of you, and this "cuts in" to my blogging time. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
I will miss the daily checking in. And, in fact, as most of you know...I have been awful, recently, about checking into blogs. I will also miss the ego strokes when folks comment on my blog. I mean come on...who doesn't love that??? But I can't let those things deter my focus. A focus which needs to be more of Him and less of me. And I thank Him that this "former" people pleaser doesn't feel guilty--she feels peaceful.
I've been in my Bible nearly every day this summer. Not so, when I blog. I've been memorizing Scripture. Not as often when I blog. When I'm blogging, I'm thinking (often) about something from my heart, but also, I may just be thinking of a way to make people laugh, or comment. Not very edifying, compared to what I could be doing.
It occurs to me that I have 4 years before launching (God, please!) my son, 6 years before launching my daughter, and many years with a prodigal husband (God willing--not the prodigal part, tho! God can change that NOW, please.). I am feeling quite urgent about stewarding every moment and behavior as wisely as I can, so that I can feel like I've done everything possible to model a walk with Christ in my home; opening my mouth for Him to fill. Please, friends, do not hear me condemning any Christian sister or brother for blogging--wouldn't that just be a mite hypocritical? I have learned so much from you all. For me, however, the conviction upon my heart says to lay this part of life down for a while. Dying just a bit to my selfish self. I may be back. Perhaps soon. Perhaps after a while. Perhaps not. And I will check in with you all from time to time. But I must pay attention to the Spirit-led "disinterest" in this and see where He leads.
Much love...
20 comments:
Sweet and precious friend. I love you for your honest candor. As you know, I have been wondering about whether or not my "Season for blogging" is coming to end after 5 wonderful years, for many of the same reasons you've written about.
I applaud you for allowing the Holy Spirit to direct you, and following through in obedience...
You are a precious and dear friend to me and although I will miss "reading you" from day to day, I also know that picking up the phone (or coming on over!) is perfect too!
Love you muchly,
LVCG
I love your honesty and I hear your heart in this. But I will miss your posts, G. Very much.
I totally get your point. You need to follow your heart and do what is right for you and your family.
when I started blogging, it became an obsession of sorts, almost to the point of being an addiction. I had to pull back from the everday writing in blogland.
However, in the last few months I have found that it is ok if I don't write everday. I have finally found the right balance for me. Here is hoping you continue on your journey of finding out what is right for you.
I will miss your posts, for you always make me smile'
prayers...
This is beautiful, friend. I'll miss your delightful posts, but I'll continue to pray for you. Your hubby in particular--his name is written in my prayer journal. Believing God will draw him to Himself. And maybe even using your de-blogging to do it!
Love you much much much!!
I love you dearly, and will miss you But, I totally understand. God be with you sis.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
okay, just kidding.
I mean, not really kidding, cause I love this blog, and I will miss you on it so much.
but yes, kidding, because I totally get it. I am struggling with the same season for many of the same reasons ...
so glad this isn't a goodbye, and am so proud of you for doing God's bidding.
Glad to be one of those on the receiving end of the phone call and the text.
I will miss the Glads tremendously.
Love ya'
Sus
Love your heart and the willingness to obey... it is what I love about reading here, and will miss so much! Wishing you such peace in yor journey and will continue to pray for you and your family.
Dearest Gretchen-of-the-west, what a testimony to all of us to listen with our hearts to what the Lord is whispering. So proud of you for following him. You've been such a LIGHT in bloggy land. You WILL be missed.
May we carry on your legacy with Gladitudes?
Much love from the east coast!
My dear Gretchen #2, it has been so sweet getting to "know" you & I will miss your blogs greatly. But what a tremendous moving by the Holy Spirit in your life, & what a great response on your part!
The time w/the Lord, the time w/your quickly growing up kids, & the time w/your DH (displaying the love of Christ to him especially) is SO important.
You are very wise to recognize His calling on you right now, & you have obviously already seen what He can & will do when you give Him the first-fruits of your time.
I'll miss you, Sweet One!!
came by to say i miss my gretch!!! so why aren't you texting or calling me?????
just sayin'
i miss ya!!
love you, gretch xoxo
lisa
Dear Friend,
Oh how I understand your heart.
And how I admire your bravery to speak such words.
I will miss you around this corner of the 'sphere. But I totally GET IT.
Love you.
It's been quite awhile since I've dropped into the blog world to catch up with some of my favorite bloggy friends.
While I'm bummed that I won't get a fresh Gretchen fix when I drop by, I absolutely get where you are coming from. My own absence in this wonderful realm of life is fueled by many of the same things you penned so eloquently.
I enjoy keeping up with you on FB! Much love to you!
**sniff, sniff**
I'm happy for you...and proud of you for doing what the Lord wants you to, truly. Can I help it if I don't do so well with change?
We'll always have Facebook. Right? RIIIIGHT?
OK, now. On my first day to *really* get caught up on all the blogs/people I love! Srsly, "dittos" to all the sentiments shared by everyone. Looking forward to what God has in store for you, my friend!
I've been blessed by our on the sidelines emails, will miss you sharing your take on things, but will still pray for you when god calls you and your sweet family to mind. Blessings, bev
Gosh, but I'm late to all this! You go and do what you need to do, Girl! You are, and always will be, one of my favorite Sisters. And the heart behind this post is one of the biggest reasons why!
I'm totally good with all this because I don't plan to lose touch with you. EVER!! :)
Love you bunches!
Jen
The fact that I'm reading this almost a month after you wrote it speaks to how "I hear you".
I rarely felt guilt this summer about not blogging. I may pick back up, I may not, but know that you inspire me in more ways than one.
I, in fact, have considered giving up Twitter because (confession) I'm caring to much about the lack of response to my tweets. I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time and I don't like how I start feeling sorry for myself. I haven't developed the depth of friendship you have from this blog world but I have precious, sweet in real life friends right here in my backyard that God has greatly blessed me with, so how can I complain?!
I'll miss the posts that I lurve so much and the heart of the lady that wrote them but I am so thankful for your example and obedience to THE single most important Person of all.
I'm kind of late to the party. I understand where you're at. But I also think you'll be back. It's what I did with Facebook. I took a break from the Face Book to get me some more Good Book. But writing/blogging is in my blood.
Now I'm into a project for my mom. It's the one way I feel I can really make sense of her getting older. I think others will relate also. I don't feel it's taking me away from God. It is writing from my heart, which I think is pleasing to him.
Perhaps you will find a project that moves you like that? And if not, then you don't. Please keep in touch with me, even if it's just via Facebook. I'm back as Andrea Frazer! xoxoxxo
Post a Comment