I finished reading the Bible (in a year) yesterday morning. That's great and all, but when I woke up this morning, ready to read/pray/love :) , I was a little off-kilter, because I had just finished reading it. What to do? So I took Packer's Knowing God book off the shelf and thought I'd read that. But then...I knew I wanted to start my day with the Word of God, not just word of someone who knows about God. Please understand: I wanted the Packer book very much. I have enjoyed digesting it. However, God's words are God's, and Packer's words are Packer's. There IS a difference.
All that to say, I picked up the Bible again, and decided to read. Since I had no real agenda, I started with Proverbs 22, since it's the 22nd day of the month. That particular chapter was filled with perfect reminders for this time of year, and always (e.g. feed the poor, be humble). After that, I landed on Psalm 22, which was about hope-filled suffering. Then, still not satisfied (how humble of me, not being "satisfied" with Proverbs and Psalms), I thought I'd read Luke's Gospel, because, after all, it IS Christmas.
So, I started in. I made it all the way to Luke 1:45 until I had to stop. God landed me on this verse, and I could go no farther:
"You are blessed because you believed the Lord would do what he said." Luke 1:45 (NLT)
This verse is a quote from Elizabeth (mother of John the Baptizer), telling Mary that because she believed unreservedly in God's plans for her, she would be the most blessed woman in the world.
This morning, it was as if God, through Elizabeth, was speaking straight to me, His child. "Gretchen, you are/will be blessed because you believe I will do what I say I will do. It's nice that you read my Word, but don't be a consumer. Be a believer. Listen to what I'm saying, believe it. Ponder it in your heart, like Mary did, so long ago. Love me with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. Believe I did what I said I did and will do what I said I'd do. Believe I have great plans for you. Believe I chose you. Believe."
As with so many people, my life is messy, with lots of anxiety-provoking unknowns and too much of clutter. I don't know why I'm surprised by this--after all, I do live in the world. But, I believe each day is a precious gift and a precious opportunity to thank Him for blessing me because I believe He did what he said he would do.
3 comments:
Simply Amazing as always bringing the word to simple yet powerful application in our lives! I am blessed by you!
Thank you, Cindy. Praying much joy upon you during these hard days. Xxxooo
Oh, Girl, this is the best yet!!! I so needed this. Love to you!!!
Post a Comment