Friday, August 19, 2011

Still Alive Over Here...Five on Friday

Since imitation is the fondest form of flattery, and since I've been wanting to blog a bit, but just.haven't., this is a great way to dip a toe back in.  Thank you, Sus, for the model, and the wit. 

Five on Friday: Fluff

1.  One kid has 1.5 weeks left of summer; the other has 2.5 weeks left.  How did this fly by so quickly?  I started the summer with one teenager, and now I have two.  Go figure.

2.  I love caffeine and highly recommend it.  (I feel like Violette Beauregard--"I'm a gum-chewer, usually...") Tastes great in the form of coffee, and focuses my attention from the shiny objects and squirrels which pass by...And at $10/lb for the good stuff--it's the cheapest self medication on the market.

3.  We've had 3 short family vacas this summer--all 5 days or less.  But they've worn me out.  I feel like we've been in a constant state of getting a dog sitter, and laundry and packing.  Been  awfully nice to have the husband home all summer though.  Alas, shortly after school starts, he'll be winging his way back to the PRC.

4.  Struggling to find an exercise I like.  I'm at the age where my joints are starting to squeak and moan, and i know the antidote for this is alcohol ibuprofen, exercise.  My typical MO is walking the dog a couple days of the week and going to the gym a couple of days a week, where I do some weights and the elliptical machine, and of course...grunting stretching.  But...I don't like it.  Even with walking, I seem to aggravate bursitis in my hips, if I go fast enough and long enough.  Wah, wah, wah, whine. Whatever...I spoke to a woman about doing Pilates, though. And of course, she's over 20 years older than me and looks amazing.  Maybe if I get my joints stretched, strengthened, and lubed, then doing cardio, in the form of running, Zumba, or fast-walking won't hurt.  Also...calories spent, I can have my Cosmo and drink it, too.  Winning.

5.  Getting excited and nervous to facilitate a Bible study this fall at church.  I love the curriculum, and have been doing it on my own this summer in preparation for the group.  I think the study will be well received, but I believe it will trigger a lot of emotions in people.  At least it's triggering them in me. It's shows God's perspective on being the parent or g'parent of a child(ren) with special needs.  I love it because it speaks to a broad range of folks, with children who have mild-severe special needs.  The fact that my group is over 1/2 full indicates a need...Praying.

6. (Bonus)  Go see The Help.  Even guys would like it , I think.  Not as much as girlfriends and/or moms-daughters, though.  Lord, thank You for girlfriends!!!!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! I love your Five on Fridays! If I hadn't already posted something today I would imitate YOU!

1 - Is it just me, or does each summer seem to go faster and faster? *sigh*

2 - Amen and amen!

3 - Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacations. Isn't that always the way? lol What a great blessing to have the man home all summer!

4 - Story of my life.

5 - You will do GREAT! There is such a huge need for that type of study. Interested to hear more about it and maybe pass the info along here.

6 - The movie was nearly as good as the book and I agree - it's not really a chick flick. I can't wait for my guy to see it, too.

Mels Place in Big Bear said...

"Even with walking, I seem to aggravate bursitis in my hips"...LOL. You better be careful or you'll be turning into that old lady who quilts and teaches Bible study... hey, wait just a second now...

Andrea Frazer said...

Okay, I am starting to hate the Blogger platform as they don't accept non-Google signatures. Do you, by any chance, have restrictions on your blog for a reason? A friend of mine did and didn't know. Now that she removed them, I can just leave my WEebly blog signature and not mess around with old blogs that lead to my new blog but accidentally leave links to my OLD OLD blog. Meh. I'm done. (That was me in teh comment above. sorry.)

Gretchen said...

I knew it was you, Andrea. ;) You commented well both times. Looks like there are no restrictions from my end. Love ya, girl.

Gretchen said...

Jenster...miss you so. Can't believe that T was going to be a senior when we met, and now, I believe it's K who's the senior. And i have a sophomore and 8th grader. Weird.

Anonymous said...

You are going to be a GREAT facilitator!!! What a great fit for you! So excited!!

I still haven't seen The Help. Come go with?