Friday, July 1, 2011

I'm Late! I'm Late! For a very important date!

So, I was going to do a little blawgy book club thang, but it.just.didn't.happen.  And I hope you'll forgive me, since Alisa was the only taker. ;)  But still, I know there are plenty of lurkers who just might like to vicariously discuss, so discuss, I will. 

I.loved. it. 

Is that too transparent? Too quick to the point?

Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent (the co-author of Same Kind of Different as Me),  write of little Colton Burpo's (Todd's son) visit to Heaven in the book Heaven is for Real A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back.  At four years old, Colton suffers appendicitis, and during his emergency surgery, he leaves earth and goes to Heaven for "3 minutes". 

During Colton's recovery and in subsequent months thereafter, Colton's story of his trip to Heaven unfolds to a dumb-founded, though, ultimately believing family.  Todd and Sonja, Colton's mother, are pastors in a small town in Nebraska.  Given that, they describe believing in Heaven and in the theology of the Bible.  However, Todd makes it clear from the outset that he and Sonja deliberately tried to provide Colton with open-ended with questions about his experience, so that they would not be leading him in any aspect of sharing his truth.  He describes stumbling upon this need to refrain from adding anything to Colton's story, initially, by realizing that he inadvertently gave Colton a word to describe the round thing on Jesus' head ("crown").   

As Todd and Sonja piece together Colton's story, the following is clear:  He saw things for which there is no earthly--but every Biblical--explanation, including where his parents were (separately praying) while he was unconscious, on the operating table.  In addition, he witnessed things which he would not have had the experience or knowledge of due to his tender age.  He described meeting Jesus, what Jesus looked like, what Heaven looked like, and chiefly, that "Jesus said he really, really loves the children!".  He also described Armegeddon--again, in a child's terms, but coinciding with the Biblical description, nonetheless.

The biggest impact for me as I read along was that Colton, while still four and still very much a sword-wielding, rough and tumble little boy, WAS CHANGED.  He returned from Heaven very concerned for people's salvation.  Very interested in the welfare of children.  Very SURE of the existence of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and Gabriel, and of others who were in his earth family, and who are now in Heaven.

I gave this to my son to read, and because he's rebelling right now (sigh), this was just seen as another, feeble, Jesus-freak attempt to get him to the dark side. Insert eye-roll here (his and mine).  But I could tell that he was interested.  Gave it to my daughte to read.  She loved it--said it was good--sad, happy, and almost too good to be true.  But she believed it. 

It's an easy read.  I recommend this for believers and seekers, alike.  I also recommend this for those who have suffered the loss of a family member, whether recently or not so recently.  Recommend for ages 12 and up.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

For any of you interested in another heavenly opportunity, my friend, Jean, is doing an on-line book share with Randy Alcorn's HeavenGo here for details. 

SDG!
Gretchen

6 comments:

whimzie said...

I didn't read it because I have purposely avoided books with that subject them of late. Simply because I gorged myself on them not long after my dad made Heaven home. And I just overwhelmed myself a little.

But I would like to read this. And so I shall go see if I can bid on an ebay copy as soon a I push "publish your comment."

whimzie said...

P.S. Jean should know that Randy Alcorn is a very, very nice man.

Anonymous said...

My ladies' bible study group had a book swap a couple of weeks ago an I walked away with this book. I need something to read this weekend and you have convinced me! Thanks, Friend!!

Amy said...

So glad you featured this book! I'll check it out. Sounds fascinating!

Tanya said...

Both of these books -- Alcorn's "Heaven" and "Heaven is for Real" -- have been on my to-read list. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to either. I'm a little bummed that I've been out of the bloggy world so long that I didn't know you were doing this! That may have been the push I needed to get through these.

Diane Meyer said...

I read this book a few months ago, and read parts outloud to my husband,too. We both loved the thought that this little boy saw Heaven and returned to tell us about it. Exciting, is what I say!
I will go over to your friend's reading group thingy because Randy A is a good friend of mine. There I did my name dropping for the day. :-)