I went to the gym on my b'day. Normally, I wouldn't engage in such tom-foolery, but I figured that I needed to do some damage control after my b'day maple-covered sinnamon roll goodness of this morning. So away I went.
Midway through finishing my planks for rock solid abs and cut-like-steel arms, a woman joined me on the mat, doing her own planks. I grunted that these were probably invented by a man (sorry guys), and we shared a quick chuckle. Then, she noticed that I used my phone's stopwatch for each plank--
Then, she relaxed for a moment , and said sort of out of the blue, "My husband had a stroke this weekend...and I need to be here because I'm really scared." Well, not only did I specialize in stroke rehab as a speech therapist, but I'm HUMAN, and this woman needed another human for a moment, I guess.
After telling her how sorry I was and acertaining what his condition was with her, I just said, "What's his name? I want to pray for him." She told me...
"Jesus, please be with A right now. Please touch and heal his body according to Your will. Give him Your strength, and peace. Amen. "
My new friend started crying and said her husband wasn't a believer, but that she was. We introduced ourselves. She lives in a town about 30 miles away, and never comes to the gym at this particular time, but needed to work out, so that she could support her husband, so she came early. I told her that my gym attendance is spotty
We talked for a few moments more as we were doing some ab work, and I gave her all the encouragement I could, with as much discernment as I had. I wrote her and her hubs names down and told her I'd pray, and when I saw her again, I'd ask after him.
She told me I made her day.
If she only knew how she made mine. But I know from Whom all blessings flow. Thank You, Jesus.
10 comments:
A.W.E.S.O.M.E! You got to be Jesus on your birthday! SO proud that God plopped us in BTJ together. You just made MY day! xoxo
Wow, talk about a "divine appointment"! That sure was! And now those of us who read your blog can be praying for her & her husband, too! You can tell her I said so!
What a wonderful birthday gift!
Weep. Ing.
And more weeping. Oh! I love Jesus...and I love you!
makes you wonder....were you put there for her, or was she put there for you...?
Father, I join in Gretchen's prayer for this woman and her husband. I pray for his healing, both physical and spiritual. Please use this trial to draw him to you. Thank you, Jesus.
i am dripping... thank you Lord for making Gretchen, Gretchen. Jesus in you, makes you so real and approachable! I bet those calories won't count after all! Happy birthday....once more :)
The kindness of God never ceases to amaze me. I'm always surprised (but really I shouldn't be) at the way He orchestrates our every step. Glad you were exactly where you needed to be on your birthday.
Sitting in the pedi chair crying. From the beauty of this moment. From the awesomeness of God and the coolness of my friend Gretchen. Xo
What a beautiful birthday gift from the Lord. By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Prayers for this couple.
Prayers and blessings for you.
Loved this, Gretchen. What a treat, to be used by the Lord in such a way.
Post a Comment