When someone has a neurotypical difference, such as Aspergers, s/he may have a high level working knowledge of language, and great language skills--to a point. However, s/he may use language in a quirky manner, sometimes missing meta-linguistic cues (e.g. language things that we just know and don't think about, like tone of voice, inflection the meaning behind the meaning, etc.). Sarcasm is a big no-no, usually (I swear, I'm trying to quit.), because folks with this type of wiring may miss out on the change or lack of prosody (how the words sound). And, they are logical, logical, logical. Seriously.
John Elder Robison, a person with Asperger's coins the term, nypical, in his marvelous memoir/training manual, Be Different: My Adventures with Asperger's and My Advice for Fellow Aspergians, Misfits, Families, and Teachers. Nypical (pronounced like "typical") is his word for those folks who are neurologically typical. See the creative, yet logical word blend, there? This blend saves time and 5 typed characters, to be exact. Now I fancy myself a lover of words. Love their sounds, love to write, love to speak, love it all. Even love blending new words together, myself. However, as my logic-er is broken, my bent is more fun/creative, rather than logical/creative.
Back to this morning. I'm the more nypical of the two of us (if I had to choose), and he's the more Aspergian of the two of us.
I told him I loved him. And he just gave me a flatly intoned, "Mmmhmm."
Normally, this type of response would chafe me, because I
Ready for my leetle epiphany?
Today, I didn't correct him.
I took the "Mmmhmm", and gave thanks for it an for him. For once, instead of trying to change the way he responds to help him fit into this broken, marginalizing world, I paused. While he usually gives a reflexive and meaningful, "I love you, too.", the fact that he didn't probably meant that he was fin. Oh what balm to this oft-worrying mama's heart. Logically, he knows that I love him. While he rests in that logical space, there's no need for him to reciprocate my words--rather just to receive and affirm.
I love you, Son.
Mmmhmm.
13 comments:
mmmmmmmhmmmmmmm.
I have said about a majillion times that I think your most outstanding quality is how you love your kids. Thanks for proving my point, yet again.
The Lord has so blessed you with insight just when you need it & you have received it & acted upon it. Figuring out our children is a lifetime challenge (I'm here to tell ya!). But it is awesome that God created each one uniquely & gives us the privilege of guiding them as they grow.
Oh, I needed this this morning. I love to learn how to parent from you.
Amber, thank you for your encouragement, which always gives me POW. xxx
Sandy, Thank you. Yes. Yes. Yes to what you said. Appreciate your mentorship, girl.
CPQ: Nice when I can help the friend who has helped me for so long. <3 u.
Exactly what Amber said. I love this post. LOVE it. Mmmmmhmmmm, I surely do.
Oh. And I love you. Mmmmmmhmmmmm, I surely do.
Jenny, mmhmm. Miss you, and love you back.
I think I might be a bit nypical myself... as well as platernal (I'm driving auto correct crazy on those when usually its the other way around).
Speaking of things all backwards...
Its funny how there were so many places in motherhood, when the gut reaction in the care and keeping of tender babes was to move toward, and quickly! Now all has turned 180, and space is the best medicine for all involved.
How I wish there was a book that explained when all the rules would change!
Great post, friend!
Let's write that book,Kel, after Millionaire Matchmaker and Kelliecrack.
I love this.
Thank you, Denise. <3
Great post. First time I ever read your thoughts. Thank you.
I just read your thoughts for the first time today and enjoyed all that I read. Thank you.
Post a Comment