Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Day: A Top 5 List

I am a sucker for Valentine's Day.  Truth be told, I'm the biggest, sappiest, most Hallmark/Lifetime movie-watching chick on the planet.  However, like many of you, I won't be with my sweetie on the big day.  ("Awwww...") 

In my younger years, this would've put a big chink in my plans and even bigger pout on my face.  I might've even sighed a lot, especially if, lord-love-a-duck, my husband forgot to get me a card or present or whatever the radio and TV commercials were touting.  (Poor guy). 

In my even younger years, though, I was loved by a momma who didn't have a sweetheart.  And she made Valentine's Day fun for me.  She made it about the love a mother has for a child.  With her friends, she made it about love between friends.  With her mom, she made it about the love a child has for her mother. 

She was my Valentine example. 

So without further hesitation, and in her honor, I share my:

Top 5 Reasons I Won't Have A Crappy Valentine's Day:
  1. God is love.  And God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believe in Him would not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16)  Think about that for a second.  Let that thought permeate your being while you sit...God loves us so much.
  2. I'll be too busy to pine away...running one kid to school and back, hanging out with the other on her mid-winter break, and facilitating a Bible study that evening. 
  3. I'll be sharing the love among my kids, and hopefully, with a friend over lunch.  There may be cupcakes with pink frosting involved.  Just sayin'.
  4. I'll be saying a prayer for those who are widowed, whose spouses are on deployment, or who just haven't met that Mr. Right yet.  It's a hard day for them, since everyone is "supposed" to be coupled up.  I pray that God will strengthen and give them joy, regardless of circumstance.
  5. Even though I can't be face to face or hold hands with my honey, I have a honey.  My amazing husband loves me and our precious kids well, and he gives of his heart all through the year.  I big, pink, puffy-heart, love him.

What about you?  How are you spending this day of love?
Photobucket


7 comments:

Cindy said...

As always you point us in a positive perspective and I adore you dear friend. I too will hopefully be having lunch with a special friend! Because my sweetie is in heaven basking in the direct love of Jesus I am having a few single ladies here on earth in my home for an appetizer and a glass of wine and some good girlfriend time! I am so grateful for all the special Valentines I've had with Mike and have purposed to reach out instead of put my head under the covers! Blessings and Happy Valentines Day my dear friend!

Becky said...

Awww...love your perspective on it all. Your mama had it right! Love ya, sister...and hope you have a great love day anywhichway.

Anonymous said...

I do have the blessing of having my Valentine with me, although my little pink Valentine is in heaven this year.

What am I doing? I'm making some cards tonight for Bill and the kids...probably going to buy some pink carnations for Olivia tomorrow, and just spend the day thanking God for the family & friends He has blessed me with. People like you!

Gretchen said...

Cindy, I hope your Valentine's Day is full of so much love. You're a blessing to so many. Thrilled that you were able to give 17 women an oil change in honor of Mike.

Gretchen said...

Becky, Love you, too, and it's sure to be a great day. Blessings to you and your boys and Jeff.

Gretchen said...

Jean, sending you little pink, puffy, sparkly hearts of love. Your plans for cards and flowers sound great. And the thanking God part. Best of all. xxxxoooo to you.

Anonymous said...

How was your day? I saw your Grumpy pic ;)